Working Group 5 (WG5), Women in Physics (WiP), was created by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics in 1999 as a resolution of the Atlanta, Georgia, USA General Assembly to survey the present situation and report to the Council and the Liaison Committees, and to suggest means to improve the situation for women in physics.
In carrying out the above charge, it may prove useful to organise and convene an international meeting on women in physics. If such a meeting occurs, it should be planned so that a full account can be provided with the report at the General Assembly in 2002.
Website for Women in Physics.
IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics
Supporting Women in Physics in Developing Countries
We have received funding to launch a new round of the IUPAP Travel Grants Program. This program was created to help fund women from developing and low income countries, who may not have another opportunity, to attend a regional or international conferences, workshop or school. We expect to be able to fund approximately 20-25 women between $700 & $800 US each at a maximum.
Grant applications should be received no later than May 28, 2015. Recipients will be selected by the IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics by mid/late June, and all applicants will be notified before June 30, 2015 of the outcome.
Only women physicists from low income developing countries may apply. Due to limited funding, those who have received a grant in the past, under this program, are not eligible for a second grant.
Those interested in applying for a grant should submit the following information, via e mail as a WORD document only or as text within the e mail. PLEASE DO NOT SEND AS A PDF FILE. If you attach files, please include your last name on all the file documents.
1. Complete contact information including name, address, e mail and phone number.
2. Years since your Ph.D (or undergraduate degree for graduate students) was granted.
3. Brief description of the conference, school, or workshop you wish to attend (including date of conf., place to be held, & website if available) and if you will be making a presentation.
4. Brief statement of how attending the conference will enhance your career.
5. If you have attended any regional or international conferences, please list them.
6. A breakdown of the amount of money (maximum $700/800 US) required to attend (Ex: Airfare, registration fee, meals).
7. List your publications from the last 5 years.
8. One Letter of recommendation.
Send all information to Jackie Beamon Kiene at, firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business (5:00p.m. EDT) on May 28, 2015.
Igle Gledhill, Chair, IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics
Gillian Butcher, Vice Chair, IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics
Jackie Beamon-Kiene, Admin., IUPAP Working Group on Women in Physics