WG5: Women in Physics
Women in Physics (WiP), was formed in 1999 by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics as a resolution of the Atlanta General Assembly in 1999, and is Working Group 5.
Charge to Working Group
- to survey the situation for women in physics in IUPAP member countries;
- to analyse and report the data collected along with suggestions on how to improve the situation;
- to suggest ways that women can become more involved in IUPAP, including the Liaison Committees, the Commissions, the Council, and the General Assemblies;
- to report all findings at the General Assembly in 2002.
In carrying out the above charge, it may prove useful to organise and convene an international meeting on women in physics. If such a meeting occurs, it should be planned so that a full account can be provided with the report at the General Assembly in 2002.
Chair: Silvina Ponce Dawson, Argentina
Vice – Chair: Igle Gledhill, South Africa
Youngah Park, South Korea
Manling Sui, China, Beijing
Ndeye Arame Boye Faye, Senegal
Gillian Butcher, UK
Shobhana Narasimhan, India
Renee Horton, USA
Ching Ray Chang, China, Taipei
Jin Hee Yoon, South Korea
Marcia Barbosa, Brazil
Reports to the General Assembly: 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011
Reports to the IUPAP Council and Commission Chairs: 2010
Reports from the Working Group meetings: 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005
- 2nd IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics
23-25 May 2005, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil